The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at 806-356-9448 during regular business hours.
You may have been given prescriptions for medications to take prior to your appointment. You may have them filled at your pharmacy and should take them as directed. If you take antibiotic premedication, please take it as directed before your surgery.
Please wear comfortable clothing to your appointment. We will be checking your blood pressure and in some instances starting an IV so wear shirts with sleeves that can be pulled up easily. You may bring your iPod or MP3 player with you if you like.
In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for post-operative checks. In most cases, after surgery we will also look forward to seeing you back for a periodontal maintenance cleaning and an examination of tissue maturation about 3 months following the surgery.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if our doctor determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness.
If you elect to use one of the following oral sedatives you must have a ride to and from the office. Please bring your remaining tablets with you.
- Ativan (Lorazepam)
- Valium (Diazepam)
- Halcion (Triazolam)
IV Conscious Sedation Pre-Operative Instructions
- You will need someone to drive you to the appointment, stay at this office during your procedure and drive you home. Someone will need to stay with you until you have recovered from the effects of the drugs.
- Be sure to take all normal medications with the smallest amount of water possible.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 4-6 hours before surgery, except for taking medications.
- No alcohol for 12 hours before or 24 hours after surgery.
- Wear a short sleeve shirt and loose fitting clothing so the monitors can be easily placed. We also recommend you leave at least 1 fingernail unpainted and acrylic free for our monitor, preferably the right index finger.
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- You will not be able to drive or operate equipment for 24 hours after the surgery.
- If you have failed to let us know any of your medical history, any medications you take, drug usage, drug allergies, or anesthetic problems in the past, please let us know so we can treat you properly.
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese
- Ensure/Slim Fast
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes